St Helens, Merseyside, WA10 5HH
|Webpage: Carmelite Nuns|
In June 1914 a little band of sisters set out from Notting Hill Carmel to found the Carmel of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour, (or Help as is more usual in the USA), in Eccleston, St. Helens. Interestingly, at least half of them were converts. The postulant of six weeks duration who was one of the group, only died in October 1996 a few months short of her 103rd birthday.
The Community flourished and the peaceful rythm of Carmelite Life was lived with deep prayer. Christmas, and other, cards was the main work undertaken and there was much scope in the very large garden.
In the late eighties extensive dry rot was found in the old mansion house and so new living accommodation had to be built. The Chapel, Choir etc. which had been built at the time of the foundation were not affected. This new building led in time to the next stage in our history. In the Summer of 2001 the historic Carmel of Lanherne amalgamated with us. Lanherne, the oldest Carmel in Britain, had been founded at Antwerp in 1619 for English girls unable to enter the religious life in Penal England. The Carmel flourished greatly and in due time made Foundations in other parts of the Netherlands and in Germany - including Cologne associated with Saint Edith Stein. At the time of the French Revolution the sisters had to flee to England. They eventually found a home at Lanherne, the Cornish mansion of Lord and Lady Arundell.
|+ + + + + +|
|Now the united Carmels look forward to a new chapter in their history.|
|+ + + + + +|